Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Settling in here in Marburg

School is going great! We usually have around 4-5 hours of German language class in the morning then 1-2 hour break where we eat at the “mensa”(cheap subsidized meals for students) then return for either culture or conversation class for 2 hours. I’ve been using public transit and walking a ton here.
Bad news=Buses don’t run too late at night so you usually end up taking a cab home if you go out at night.

Good news= At studentendorf (student residence) there is a bar called SchwarzWeiss (Blackwhite) which is only a five minute walk from my room. They have the cheapest beer in town (1 euro for a half-liter of beer) and it’s full of students, with quite a few of them being international. This is a awesome place to go out at night.
Marburg is built around a far-sized hill, which has a castle at the top. It’s really cool to look up at it, especially when it’s lit up at night, and you can usually find out where you are using it as a reference point. The city is full of students and those in university related jobs and real easy to walk around. Another thing is, there are blind people everywhere here as they have a school for the blind. I’m amazed every day seeing certain things they are able to do without any sight.

I have a single room with a small bed, desk+chair, closet and a little sink. It’s nothing fancy but good enough for me. I’m definitely not complaining as some other students are living further away where it takes around an hour to get to school, compared to my 10 minutes. I have only met a couple of my room mates, but expect to meet the rest when their “holidays” are over in the start of April. I haven’t found a gym yet but have been just running and doing workouts that require no equipments… I think this will be my routine for the rest of my stay here.

I made somewhat of a last minute decision to go to cologne this weekend, as it was the last weekend of one of the biggest festivals in Europe, call “Carnival”. It is pretty much like Halloween, with everyone dressed up, but everyone is walking the main streets and squares drinking. One very large outdoor party. After walking and partying in the streets and actually walking in the parade for a while, we made our way back to the train station where we thought we’d make a train home.
In our state of intoxication, we thought we would be able to make a train around four in the morning or earlier in the night. We didn’t bother considering the fact that our passes wouldn’t work for the high-speed ICE trains. Without any beds left in town due to Carnival, this left us with the interesting opportunity to fend for ourselves…
After a very long night filled with some very odd events, our stay in the train station was done when our train left around 7:30 in the morning. The train was not a direct route, making a 2.5-3 hour trip into one that didn’t get us home until noon. We made a full circle back to the train station where we stood 24 hours earlier. All of us ready to collapse from a lack of sleep and serous hangovers, we all went back to our rooms after a quick donair, and slipped into self-induced comas.

Recapping the trip, it was an awesome event to be a part of, but we all agreed that this might be the type of experience you want only once. No more, no less.
Other then that, I’ve been settling in still here and spending most of my time either studying or hanging out with friends. Last night I was out at the student bar for my friend, Alex’s, 21st birthday. It was quite a late night and many of us were quite groggy all day.
Tomorrow I’ll be heading back to Canada for a quick little trip. I was offered an interview for the Dentistry program and the UofA and there was no possibility of delaying it to another time or doing it over the phone. I’m looking at it as an investment that hopefully cashes in. If not, the experience of an interview will be very valuable.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!I'm sure I'm forgetting some things as my brain is still half-asleep





No comments:

Post a Comment