Sunday, March 20, 2011

Half way around the world… and back














I’m back in Germany now… my “weekend trip” to Canada went smoothly. I got in Thursday night and spent some time with my parents before passing out at 10:00pm… it was around 6:00am in German time. The next day I was able to get a great workout in, which helped deal with the jetlag. I spent the rest of the day getting ready for the interview and what not. I think the interview went pretty well. Definitely not my absolute best, but I’m happy nonetheless. Spent the rest of my time there hanging out with friends and getting used to the -20 degree weather again. On Sunday, my parents and I met my brother, cousin and aunt in Calgary for awesome lunch then it was time to board the plane back to Frankfurt. After the obligatory few free beverages, I was actually able to sleep on a plane for once. Although I had direct flights both there and back, which was very nice, and enjoyed my time in Canada, I am still quite glad I will not have to get back into a plane or airport for a while.

Whether it’s just the traveling or jetlag, I still have a hazy surreal feeling since getting to Calgary. I don’t think my body has really established a new sleeping pattern since. I’m sure going out several times this week+weekend may not have helped either. Coming back to Marburg, I was able to run to class from the train station with my bags, and make it with little time to spare before I was to give a presentation on “the Third Reich” with a classmate. It all ended up working out.

We’re getting busier at school now as we not only have the entire morning of German language classes, but now have afternoons of either German culture class or German conversation course. My trip to Canada somewhat interfered with my student-visa application, so I had to go deal with that at the city hall the other day... this is where I’m starting to see that the extremely small amount of German I know is definitely better then no German. Looking ahead, my friends and I have been looking towards traveling around Germany, with possibly Hannover this weekend, and Hamburg the next. Later on in April and afterwards, I’m planning on bouncing around Europe quite a bit if my class schedule allows. If it works out the way I hope, I will only have two days of class a week. Suggestions as to where in Europe would be welcome.

I’m already pretty sure I’ll be heading to Holland in April for “A State of Trance 500”. My friend Joe from New Zealand is really into that music and from what I expect, it’ll be a wild time. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get tickets for the event though… if not I plan on just going to Amsterdam with some other friends the same weekend. Other then that, I’m interested in Greece, Poland, Spain and some of Eastern Europe… not really ruling anything out. Also, my younger brother David (aka Dirty D) will probably be coming to visit sometime in April, another thing to look forward to.

After a long weekend and a severe lack of sleep, it’s time to get some rest.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment