Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beer and food...

I'm not sure which day I left off on, but I'll do my best to remember everything.

It's pretty cool being in Germany while the world cup is going on. This is one of the first times in the last 60ish years that people have been displaying the German flag outside their house or on their cars, just because anything that remotely resembled patriotism was not very acceptable in the past due to the Nazi regime and their heavy emphasis on patriotism.  But back to the world cup, most things I've been doing lately for fun have kinda revolved around that. Last weekend I went to a World Cup kick-off party in one of the residences and everyone just wore a country's jersey/colors. Unfortuantely the friend I went with only had an extra German jersey, so everyone would start to talk to me in German all night. The residence here is very international, so only about half the people are German, and everyone (young people at least) can speak at least a little bit of english. The night was pretty fun, and pretty much like a party back home. A funny thing is, when one of the Germans I met that night found out I was from Canada, he wanted to talk to me about hockey all night because he was such a huge fan. He was telling me how he regularly would wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning to watch a live NHL from North America and has seen almost every hocky movie ever made, including the famous mighty ducks.

The next day I just did some small things around town and then went to another street festival at night. There was a miny concert, and just like everything else in Germany, beer gardens. On Sunday I wacthed Germany's first world cup game at a co-workers house. We had a BBQ and some beers. I think everyone got a little bit tipsier then expected, as everyone would take a shot when Germany scored.... Germany won 4-0.

Also, it was my brithday on Monday. It wasn't too eventful as I was still recovering from the weekend and at work all day. Everyone in the lab got me a big box full of some wine and then all types of typical German food for my birthday. It was really cool and needless to say, I probably won't be going hungry anytime soon. That night i  went and found a place to train BBJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).  It turned out great and I went and trained some Muay Thai there the next day.  So thankfully I found another way to excercise here then running or working out outside, a nice change. So that turned out to be my birthday present to myself.

I've been pretty busy at work lately as well, but I got the day off today (Thurs) as last night I worked until around 630. After work, I went to a real cool local bar that's on the "beach" of the river that runs through Giessen. They had an outdoor TV screen to watch the South Africa vs. Paraguay game last night. Turned out to be a good time, and I might go to a popular Jamaican bar in town to watch a game tonight.


That's all I can think of for now,

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment